Jerk Pit Wings Recipe
This simple recipe takes our jerk marinade recipe and uses it to make our classic starter - jerk pit wings! Perfect to start a romantic meal, or even just to snack on if you're missing that zingy jerk flavour.
You can easily marinate anything you like if wings aren't your thing - just replace the wings with ribs, tofu, aubergine, cauliflower - whatever you fancy!
The best part about making a jerk marinade recipe is that you can really make it your own - don’t be afraid to add your own personal twist. Try more sugar for a sweeter flavour, or more chilli... if you dare!
We recommend prepping this at least a few hours in advance if you can - it's even better if you can do it the night before!!
- A blender or food processor
- 8 chicken wings - or your choice of food to be marinated
- 5 spring onions
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper for a mild taste - you can use 2 if you can handle the heat! Other types of hot chillip pepper work if you can’t find scotch bonnet, but they are likely to be milder so you might need more.
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or ½ tablespoon of dried thyme will work instead)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - or 2 tablespoons if you prefer a sweeter sauce
- 2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 100ml orange juice
- 75ml soy sauce
- 60ml vinegar
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Let's get some tunes on! Head to our Spotify for some playlists so you can dance and cook at the same time!
- Ok, now we’re ready. Roughly chop the onion, spring onion and garlic
- Next up, chop the chillis – make sure you wear gloves or use a plastic bag to keep the spice off your hands. Don’t forget the seeds are the spiciest part!
- Then you simply add all the ingredients to your blender and blend for a couple of minutes or until it’s a nice smooth consistency.
- Place your wings into an ovenproof dish & pour 2/3 of the sauce over them, making sure they are well covered. Leave them to soak it up in the fridge for least 3 hours so the flavours really get to work. Overnight in the fridge will get you the juiciest results if you can wait that long!
- How about a Reggae Rum Punch or two whilst you wait?
- When your wings are ready (or you can't wait any longer) bake at 180 degrees for 30 mins.
- After about 30 mins, bring them out the oven and pour over the remaining jerk sauce. Pop them back in at 200 degrees for another 10 - 15mins. Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh chilli and spring onion!
- Aubergine: we recommend frying cubes of aubergine a little first in some oil before marinating, for a crispier texture.
- Tofu: follow the same steps as wings, but it'll probably only need 25 minutes at 180 degrees and 5 minutes at 200 degrees.
Wings can be cooked or finished on the BBQ for a super smoky flavour, so definitely a recipe to revisit in summer!